- NQF: 4
- SAQA ID: 78964
- Credits: 163
Computers play a vital role in the world of business today as they help to bring about efficiency. To be a competent technician, you must learn how to build computers from scratch, run tests and diagnostics and be able to troubleshoot on all matters related to technical support and installations.
This qualification will enable learners to develop an understanding of technology principles, hardware and software, data communication and network support and problem-solving skills in a technical environment. It also teaches you the fundamental communication skills required to work across different work-cultures in South Africa.
- A National Senior Certificate/Grade 12, or
- N3 Certificate/NCV Level 4 Certificate/ABET Level 4 Certificate.
Certification & Examination Authority
Upon successful completion of this programme, learners will receive a National Certificate in Technical Support. Certificates are issued and verified by The Media, Information and Communication Technologies Sector Education and Training Authority (MICTSETA).
- One (1) year full time
- A prescribed textbook list is available from the Academic Department at the campus
- Electronic copies of the study guides are available on the Student Portal
Enquire at Berea College of Technology campus for a pricelist for the programme you are interested in.
Students must make provision for additional items such as textbooks, stationery, supplementary examinations, research costs and printing of study guides.
Exit level outcomes
A learner will be able to:
- Communicate effectively with fellow IT staff and users of information systems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of different types of computer systems and the use of computer technology in business
- Demonstrate an understanding of problem-solving techniques and how to apply them in a technical environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of computer technology principles.
- Select and use materials and equipment safely for technological purposes.
- Work effectively as a team member within a support team.
- Carry out, under supervision, a small sized task to demonstrate knowledge of techniques and skills needed in one or more of the following areas of specialisation:
- Hardware and infrastructure support for personal computers
- Hardware and infrastructure support for MS Office products
- Data communications and network support.
On completion of the National Certificate you may progress to the Diploma in Information Technology or the Diploma in PC Support and Networking.
Student Support Services
- Job readiness skills
- CV writing, interview training and workshops
- Campus Counsellor
- Work-integrated learning, internships and post-graduate employment