- NQF: 5
- SAQA ID: TBA
- Credits: 128
The purpose of this qualification is to provide learners to work in the Maritime industry both regionally, nationally and internationally, and emphasizes professionalism, leadership and management to lays a solid foundation for future career advancement in the maritime industry.
National Senior Certificate (NSC):
- with a certificate endorsement, and English (home language) rating 4 or English (1st additional language): a minimum rating of 3,
- and Mathematics rating 3 or Mathematics Literacy: a minimum rating of 4
- a minimum symbol of E for English on the higher grade, or D for English on the standard grade, and
- a minimum symbol of E for Mathematics on the higher grade, or D for English on the standard grade
National Certificate (Vocational):
- a minimum of 40% for Communication or English
Certification & Examination Authority
On successful completion of the programme, the student will receive a Berea College of Technology Higher Certificate in Maritime Studies.
Duration and Work-Integrated Learning
- 3 years full-time or 4 years part-time
- This 3 or 4 years includes 200 hours to be completed within 3 months
- Prescribed textbook lists will be provided by the academic department at your campus. Students will receive electronic versions of the study guides for this programme.
Enquire at Berea College of Technology campus for a current programme pricelist.
Students must make provision for additional items such as textbooks, stationery, supplementary examinations, research costs and printing of study guides etc.
- The Higher Certificate allows for horizontal as well as vertical articulation with other institutions which may present similar qualifications, both nationally and international.Vertical articulation:This qualification may articulate vertically with any relevant cognate qualification at NQF Level 6. (for example Diploma in Shipping Management in conceptualization stage)Horizontal articulation:This qualification may articulate horizontally with any relevant cognate qualification at NQF Level 5. (for example Diplomas offered at other public and private Higher Education providers).This qualification may articulate diagonally to other qualifications at NQF Level 6. (for example Diploma and Bachelor’s degrees in education, management and hospitality offered at BTC and other public and private Higher Education providers).
Student Support Services
- Job readiness skills
- CV writing, interview training and workshops
- Campus Counsellor
- Work-integrated learning, internships and post-graduate employment