- NQF: 6
- SAQA ID: 24419
- Credits: 360
Information Technology professionals are responsible for the study of computer systems and telecommunication from storing, retrieving, and sending information. The qualification enables students to gain skills in problem-solving, observation, communication, analysing, critical thinking, decision making, computer literacy and to gain competence in the application of knowledge through research methods and practice. The programme also allows students to critically evaluate information. Understanding how networks operate, written and spoken communication and competence in applying knowledge through basic research methods and practice are some of the prerequisites in this field.
Certification & Examination Authority
Upon successful completion, students will receive a Berea College of Technology Diploma in Information Technology. All Examinations are set and administered by Berea College of Technology.
- A Grade 12 Certificate with admission to diploma studies
- NQF level 4 qualification or equivalent
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is considered on merit
Duration and Work-Integrated Learning
- Three (3) years full-time or 4 years part-time
- This 3 or 4 years includes 200 hours to be completed within 3 months
- A prescribed textbook list is available from the Academic Department at the campus
- Electronic copies of the study guides are available on the Student Portal
Enquire at Berea College of Technology campus for a pricelist for the programme you are interested in.
Students must make provision for additional items such as textbooks, stationery, supplementary examinations, research costs and printing of study guides.
- Students can further their studies both horizontally and vertically
- Credits obtained can be used to study at our institution or other institutions subject to the admission requirements of that institution
- Credits obtained can also be used as evidence for RPL for entrance into other qualifications
Student Support Services
- Job readiness skills
- CV writing, interview training and workshops
- Campus Counsellor
- Work-integrated learning, internships and post-graduate employment